A freshers week student at King’s College London came back to his room in halls to find his room burnt down.
The fire left his room destroyed, with his bed and clothes burnt, and glass all over the floor.
Hundreds of students were woken up in the early hours of the morning and told to leave their halls.
Tweets from the student affected include:
“My freshers is going so well, burnt my room down last night.”
“I literally just got a new room but lost all my clothes and stuff,” he later added.
A spokesman for London Fire Brigade said: “We are still investigating this fire to determine the exact circumstances.
“But this is a good opportunity to remind people how important it is to ensure that hairdryers and straighteners are turned off at the plug as well as on the appliance.”
(Pic: Joe Moss)