“Get out and stay out”: fire brigade advice after woman rescued dog from chip pan blaze

Firefighters are urging people who find a fire in their homes to “get out and stay out” after a woman experienced smoke inhalation while trying to rescue her dog from a blaze in her flat in Bromley.

The occupant was out when the fire, which took place on Whitefoot Lane last week, started – but when she returned she went inside to rescue her dog.

When she came out with the dog, the fire brigade was called and they discovered a chip pan alight in the kitchen.

The women suffered smoke inhalation, but the dog was not harmed.

Mark Hazelton, the Brigade’s group manager for community safety, said: “It’s natural to want to rescue your pets but even a relatively small fire can create a lot of smoke, and people must realise how quickly they can be overcome.

“When a fire starts in your home, your priority must be to get out, stay out and call 999.

“If you want to use a chip pan, never leave the pan alone, even for a few seconds, as the hot oil could catch fire,” he added.

(Photo: London Fire Brigade)

Related Posts

Recent Posts

Canonbury murder: 22-year-old woman arrested

A woman has been arrested following the death of a 29-year-old man who was stabbed in Canonbury early on Monday...

Police hunting man in Croydon murder investigation

Police investigating the shooting of Tino Makwanya in Croydon would like to speak to this man. The murder took place around...

Formally identified Grenfell Tower victim list grows to 18

The number of formally identified Grenfell Tower victims currently stands at 18, police say. Names have been released in agreement...

Wood Green man sent to prison over firearms offences

A man from Wood Green has been sent to prison for seven years for a series of firearms-related offences. Sultan...

Four arrested following Forest Gate protest

Four people have been arrested following a protest outside Forest Gate police station yesterday (Sunday 25th). Police said that a...