Historic rugby club London Welsh is set to close due to financial woes

A well-known London rugby club is going out of business next week after it confirmed it will seek voluntary liquidation.

London Welsh Rugby Football Club, founded in 1885, plans to come back as a semi-professional side next year. They intend to stay at their stadium, Old Deer Park in Richmond.

“London Welsh has reached a difficult point in its illustrious history,” said boss Gareth Hawkins. “The debts accrued from trading in this way have left the Club with no alternative but to seek liquidation.

“Having to break that news to 40 staff members yesterday was extremely difficult.

“In the New Year, it is the hope and intention of the Board that London Welsh will be able to return to playing at Old Deer Park.

“However, it will first be necessary to change the Club’s business model to a semi-professional set-up and form a new company.”

Turnout at games has been as low of 400, adding to the woes.

This weekend’s planned game against Doncaster will not go ahead.

“London Welsh can confirm that the Club’s British and Irish Cup fixture with Doncaster Knights at Old Deer Park on Saturday (December 10) will not go ahead,” the club said.

Related Posts

Recent Posts

Canonbury murder: 22-year-old woman arrested

A woman has been arrested following the death of a 29-year-old man who was stabbed in Canonbury early on Monday...

Police hunting man in Croydon murder investigation

Police investigating the shooting of Tino Makwanya in Croydon would like to speak to this man. The murder took place around...

Formally identified Grenfell Tower victim list grows to 18

The number of formally identified Grenfell Tower victims currently stands at 18, police say. Names have been released in agreement...

Wood Green man sent to prison over firearms offences

A man from Wood Green has been sent to prison for seven years for a series of firearms-related offences. Sultan...

Four arrested following Forest Gate protest

Four people have been arrested following a protest outside Forest Gate police station yesterday (Sunday 25th). Police said that a...