Shocking new figures released by London Fire show there have been seven deaths and 162 injuries from electric heaters in the last five years alone.
The Brigade is warning Londoners not to leave blankets and clothes too close to – or on top – of heaters this winter, and to make sure they also aren’t kept too near armchairs, sofas or beds.
“It’s tempting to pull heaters close to you when the temperature drops but blankets and duvets or other material getting too close to heaters is a dangerous fire risk,” said Dan Daly, Assistant Commissioner for Fire Safety at London Fire Brigade.
“Shockingly over two thirds of fatal fires involving heaters are caused by clothing or furniture being too close.
“People need to make sure their portable heaters are standing upright and kept well away from clothes, curtains or furniture.
“Although the stats focus on electric we should not forget that other heaters such as gas and open fires carry an equal fire risk gas fires if not used correctly,” he added.
(Photo: London Fire)